Internet Classroom K-12

Technology and Internet use in K-12 education.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

My Thanks

Thanks for all the good comments on my first unit post. I am writing this so it will be ready to use in my classroom. I only have one computer with PowerPoint and it is only available to the teachers. Kidspiration is not available to the students. I actually will to have the students post their work on a public bulletin board--the old fashioned way!

In the meantime, I am trying to get the tech resource teacher to agree to give me Power Point on the student side of my computers so that they can review a presentation. At this time, we don't even have a simple "paint" program on the computers. I know there are some free ones that I can download. I will have those in place before I start the unit. I just wanted to be working from reality instead of my dream world.

My first grade class had a visit today from a soldier from Iraq. His sister teaches Kindergarten at our school. We wrote him letters and cards throughout the year. His surprise visit thrilled the kids. They asked a million questions about his guns and his friends and how he got the photos he showed us. I had a tear in my eyes when he described Saddam as a bad guy who killed lots of people. "He's in jail now," he said. "We're helping the people." He showed pictures of dusty, shoeless children they had given their water to.

We saw flat-roofed shacks in the "good" neighborhoods. Then he showed photos of one of Saddam's nine palaces. The opulence was so outrageous even my first graders noticed it. We had looked at a virtual tour of the White House earlier this year. I asked them to compare what they had seen. Those who recalled both agreed that Saddam's house was much fancier. They even expressed anger that Saddam had such a nice place while the people have shacks.

I am very thankful to Spc. Ryan Drury for his service to our country. I am also proud to see that he appreciates our young people enough to take precious time from his leave to come say thanks for the cards and letters. I am sure some of you have a relative or friend serving. If so, let me extend this to express my gratitude for the dedication of all our troops, wherever they may be.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Hi Shelly:
Are you aware of the free Power Point readers you can download from the web? They allow a Power Point to be viewed without having the program on the machine (no cost, no license issues etc.). I burn a copy of it for each of my students when I burn their end of the year CD's so they can view the Power Points they have made without needing to have the program.

Your posting about the solider hit home. My son is Air National Guard. He has been to Saudi Arabia and New Orleans and works daily on their base. He presented to our whole school about New Orleans when he got back (Power Point with laptop and projector). It also had a huge impact on the students.

I also thank Spc. Ryan Drury for his service to our country and wish him the best!
Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home