Internet Classroom K-12

Technology and Internet use in K-12 education.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Unit Overview

I am preparing a unit for first grade science. I will implement this unit as soon as possible. Our grade level always finishes off the last month of school with a unit on ponds and wetlands. With 80 lakes and even more ponds in our county, there are lots of wetlands around. The students may have some idea of what types of animals live there from personal experience.

I started with the Sunshine State Standards listed for this unit on our curriculum map. The overarching questions are adapted from two standards within the Processes of Life strand. I chose assessments that will give students a chance to demonstrate true understanding of the subject matter. I will have about 12 30-minute periods to devote to the unit. I will have one ESOL student, two ESE students, one student with both ESOL and ESE designations, one gifted student, and 13 regular ed students. Accommodations will be made according to students’ LEP levels and/or IEP requirements.

“Wet and Wonderful: First Grade Dives into Ponds and Wetlands”
At the conclusion of the learning activities, students will understand there are patterns of structure and function in living things. (SC.F.1.1) Also, students will understand survival of living things depends on their ability to coexist within their ecosystem. (SC.F.2.1)
Assessments:
Give a true/false pre-test to measure background knowledge.
Use teacher observation to monitor misunderstandings.
Have students create a model of a wetland food chain.
Have students prepare a written report on the life of one wetland animal or plant with illustration.
Give a modified true/false post-test (Restate false sentences to make them true.)

Stay tuned for more details as they develop…

3 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger M Coleman said...

Shelly,
It sounds like you are already applying some of Tyler and Taba's models by thinking about your student classroom composition!! And "diving" into ponds and wetlands with first graders sounds like fun, if not a little "wet!" :-)

I'm wondering if you might want to use more technology to enrich their experiences by turning the "written report" into a PowerPoint presentation (assuming they know the basics) or even a poster "for conservation"... I look forward to seeing it in the showcase!
Marie

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Cary Harrod said...

Shelly,

Looks good so far! It sounds as though you will be doing some differentiation in your classroom! I just checked out the book co-authored by Carol Ann Tomlinson and Jay McTighe; it looks like a must-have for all teachers. I am a huge proponent of differentiation; however, it is essential to provide a great deal of professional development and on-going support for teachers to implement it successfully.

I noted your pre and post tests; do you ever complete K-W-L charts with your first graders, as a way to ascertain understandings and misunderstandings? I love the dialogue that occurs while completing a K-W-L; and it is an excellent tool to help guide instruction.

In what manner will your students create a report? Powerpoint is a good idea;would you say that tool is developmentally appropriate for first graders? Are there any webquests or Virtual Field trips?

I'm looking forward to seeing your final unit!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger clayton_johnston said...

I am very interested to see you use of true-false pre- and post-tests. I must share with you that I used to think that true-false tests were not useful to elementary students. I thought that they were not useful assessments. I attended a workshop this past fall where my opinion was completely changed. I observed a veteran teacher use true-false pre-test to activate background knowledge like you have suggested. She then continued as you did and monitored misunderstandings and discussed them. At the end, her students’ results on the post-test convinced me. Her elementary students had not only completely understood the material but at a follow-up she demonstrated that they retained it. It changed my use of true-false questions and their use in instruction completely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home