Internet Classroom K-12

Technology and Internet use in K-12 education.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Giving Up Center Stage

For centuries, the teacher has been on center stage of the classroom, directing the activities and controlling the flow of information. With the availability of resources on the Internet, the teacher can stand aside and allow the students to reach out and find information from sources that were never before available.

The articles assigned for us to read this week offer teachers templates for what the Web is and what it can be for students. Three Myths about the Web at http://www.web-and-flow.com/help/myths.asp really surprised me. I have always described the Internet as a giant encyclopedia, but that is the first myth. While the encyclopedia is cold and professional, the Web is chaotic and passionate. This is why teens are drawn to it. But they cannot be let loose because what a passionate, chaotic student WANTS to learn about is usually far different from what he NEEDS to learn about. With the activities and strategies in the Activity Format descriptions http://www.web-and-flow.com/help/formats.asp, teachers give students a chance to explore topics. Given that the students are asked to discover and offer their opinion on the subject, many would actually be motivated to learn some of the things they need to know.

The idea is not to use the Internet for the Internet's sake. Rather to use its ready source of information as a customized learning opportunity. The formats described are flexible enough to adapt to individual learners aptitudes as well as attitudes toward the subject. A significant feature of many of the activities is a reflective component. Often students just learn without thinking about the connections they made with the content. When they are given reflective tasks, they give voice to their learning. And if they did not understand, their is no way they can look on another person's paper and copy the right answer for this kind of question. As a teacher, you can know whether or not they get it, and where to go from here.

The Internet has the potential to inspire students to be life-long learners. Students learn to find information, an that gaining new knowledge has intrinsic rewards. Receiving all your knowledge from the teacher is not nearly as engaging or challenging as constructing it yourself. Can I as a teacher give up my place center stage to allow students to become the stars of their own education? For the good of my students, I must.

2 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Jenni Meriwether said...

I also thought that the Internet was a giant encyclopedia. I am planning to use some of the activities and strategies in the Activity Format, http://www.web-and-flow.com/help/formats.asp. I have noticed in my classes that many students do not realize the value of the internet. They are too overwhelmed by all the information that pops up when a search is done. They do not have the skills to determine what internet sites are valid. So many of my students think if it is on the internet then it is true. Before I use the internet with my students I have to teach them to be informed users of the internet. Only then will they be able to utilize the full potential of internet.

Jenni

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Zhuo(Joel) Li said...

I also choose the four articles to write about. They are really informative.

Like you, I'm stunned by the first myth --- I also simply take the Web as an encyclopedia. After reading the first article, I realize how important to make students be aware that the Interne cannot replace encyclopedia though it's a rich source of information.

I strongly agree with you that student-centered teaching helps students to grow as "life-long"learners. Teachers should make students learn the methods and thinking skills. Their voices need to be heard.

I like your ideas. Thanks!

Zhuo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home