Internet Classroom K-12

Technology and Internet use in K-12 education.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Wiki Rookie

I have never used a wiki before, but there are two things I have observed from exploring them this week. First, they are so new and so different, every one of them has instructions for use. Second, wiki is a fun word that everyone likes to play with, i.e. WikiWikiWeb, TWiki, etc.

This collaborative knowledge base idea seems very messy to my concrete sequential nature. But when I realize it is just a high tech way for a bunch of unrelated people to come to a meeting of the minds, I begin to see its value. I have been thinking about a bulletin board project for First Grade. I want to create a "pond" that groups of students can populate with plants and animals they found reading about the ecosystem. Imagine if they also did a wiki about ponds, with each group writing about what they learned and posting pictures of pond life! This could work, even for young students.

It is so important to teach teachers what is available in technology. Lots of traditional activities--like creating a bulletin board--are enhanced greatly with collaborative programs such as bookmarking, blogs, and wikis. I am eager to show my colleagues the value of what I have learned in this class. I know I will be met with resistance. Few people at my school feel comfortable with technology beyond the use of e-mail and the word processor. As new teachers begin their careers, and veteran teachers see them embrace technology in the classroom, I am sure we will see a move toward a more constructivist style of teaching. Maybe we could have a wiki about that...

4 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jenni Meriwether said...

Shelly,

I think that I am at the same point you are. I am not quite sure about the collaboration of a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. But I agree that wikis and other various forms of technology definitly have there place in the classroom. The key is the teachers. If a teacher is taught and begins to feel comfortable using wikis, blogs, podcasts, bookmarkings or other applications then they may incorporate them into their classroom. More inservices and reliable equipment are needed to start to remove the stigma technology has with so many teachers.
-Jenni

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Carrie Barnes said...

Shelly,
I had never heard of a wiki before this class. I know the majority of the teachers at my school have never heard of it either. That is why it is so important that teachers continue to learn and take risks. I guess we need to provide leadership to our faculty and help them become aware of all the internet resources that are available.
Carrie

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Zhuo(Joel) Li said...

Hi, Shelly,

I applaud your ideas of using the new technology in class and introducing it to other teachers in your school.

As you mention the potential resistance, there might be frustrations in trying new things(It is always like that!). New reforms are welcome in teaching, especially in such a fast changing world. Its feasibility will be validated after we have a try.

Next week, we'll create our class Wiki. It should be a valuable for us all!

Good luck!

Best,
Zhuo

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger M Coleman said...

Shelly,
Love the bulletin board wiki idea - please keep us posted on your progress with it - post the link and maybe a photo or two! Your children will be well on their way to "rock" in future grades (and hopefully bring their teachers along with them!)
Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home