Internet Classroom K-12

Technology and Internet use in K-12 education.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Howdy!

I'm probably the only person in Florida that uses that old greeting. But I'm from Oklahoma, so it is understandable. I've lived in Sebring for the last 10 years. I am in my second year of teaching full time in public school. Before that I was a DJ for 10 years and then a hotel guest sales assistant and guest services manager for 5 years. During those 15 years, I home-schooled my children and substituted at the school they eventually attended. Yes, I was busy. I tend to keep it that way. This new class will definitely keep it that way!!

We are supposed to be introducing ourselves. One good way for me to do that is to invite you to read the previous posts here. Another way is to have you take a look at my profile on the right. I want to tell you just a bit more about my family. My daughter is 16. She has a MySpace (which she won't let me see) so when I get stuck on this blogging thing, I get her advice. She is very smart. Of course when a 16 year old knows they are smart, they often assume that Mom is dumb. She is anxious to spread her wings and fly when she graduates in 2007. She wants to get married and go to medical school.

My son is musically and mechanically talented. He just started trumpet at the beginning of this school year. He practices all the time and is getting very good at it. He has practiced more this year than I did in my 7 year school band career! He set up a surround sound system in his room using stuff from the pawn shop and a cheap stereo. He's really a neat kid.


My fiance is a customer service manager for a delivery company. He is very understanding when I spend all my nights and weekends working on classwork.

Professionally, I am working as a first grade teacher. I am pursuing my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with Emphasis on Teaching, Learning and Facilitating Educational Change with Technology. I hope to become a tech resource teacher, and eventually to teach at the local junior college. I have been on the curriculum mapping team at our school. I currently am involved in our District's pilot program for online curriculum mapping software. I want to take this course to understand more about curriculum design and technology integration. I want to learn practical ways to use technology to teach. More important, I want to find more ways to help my students learn with technology.

So howdy, everyone! I look forward to working with you!
Shelly

4 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Shelly,

How are things in 1st grade? Good to see you here again. Thanks for the great resources - the space lessons. That's what I love about bloggging - it's a public place where you can share great websites and resources, link them, to be user-friendly, and annotate them as well, which makes it much more likely that the reader will actually check things out. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Cary Harrod said...

Hi, Shelly!

I enjoyed reading your blog. I admire your interest in making the leap from teaching first grade to teaching at a junior college! What do you hope to do there? Very interesting!

Did you enjoy home schooling your children? Did you home school all the way through high school?

Do you find it difficult to integrate technology with first graders? What are some of the ways in which you do so?

I look forward to sharing ideas, thoughts, resources, etc...with you throughout this course. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about curriculum and instruction and how to best integrate technology. I am so excited about this opportunity!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Greg Yurish said...

Hey Shelly!

Howdy! You sure have had a great career experience before becoming a teacher, especially home schooling your children. I have done nothing other than work in the field of education. Glad to see you back here.

Greg

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Greg Yurish said...

Shelly,

After writing my post, I realized that I have had a lot of other work experience outside of education, but it was all part time and summer work.

I spent one summer loading and unloading trucks. It was the hardest I've ever worked. It made me realize how fortunate I was to be a teacher.

I did the whole restaurant thing and got pretty good at being a short order cook.

The best job, though was taking orders over the phone for J. Crew Outfitters. When people are spending money on the things they want, they tend to be very easy to deal with.

I also worked at Sylvan Learning Center. I liked that a lot, very fast paced, since the teachers usually work with 3 students at a time. The part I didn't like about it was how little I was paid. At that time, it was about 10 an hour.

Also wanted to ask you about home schooling. Did you use a home schooling curriculum, or did you follow your local school district's curriculum?

Take care,

Greg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home